Monday, November 10, 2008

Endpapers from my next three picture books...


To see all my illustration portfolio samples, visit stevensalerno.com
When I create the illustrations for a children's picture book, I always complete all the inside illustrations first, then do the cover, title page(s) and endpaper art last. I purposely keep the endpaper image graphic, simple, and use the computer to help generate the pattern effect... which generally means it is an image I can finish in about a day. (compared to how time intensive most of the inside images are.) I find that creating the endpaper art is usually the most “satisfying” and fun, because it feels kind of like finally snapping the lid shut on the entire book project.
Posted here are detail views from the endpapers of my next three picture books coming out: The top image is from PANTALOON, due out by Random in 2010 (see earlier post about this book), in the middle is from HARRY HUNGRY!, due out in 2009 by Harcourt (see earlier post about this book), and at the bottom is from STAMPEDE! The Wild Side of School, due out in 2009 by Clarion Books (Houghton Mifflin).

No comments: