Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Alien Dating: "...but he has such a great personality!"

visit stevensalerno.com

visit stevensalerno.com

visit stevensalerno.com

visit stevensalerno.com

visit stevensalerno.com

visit stevensalerno.com

What do I do when I am not working on illustration projects, or children's picture books, or my personal golf art images?  -generally I am also incessantly doodling on any scraps of paper at hand. I think the best time to doodle is when on the phone or watching TV, so that you are distracted from actually thinking about what you are drawing... it allows the imagination more freedom. And for some unknown reason, I like to doodle images of fantasy alien creatures that I conjure up from my imagination. I have a portfolio section on my illustration web site called "other world sketches" where you can see a number of these alien doodles. Posted here are a handful of them.

These images, generally created with pen or crayon, are executed directly on paper without any pre-planning, under-drawing, or concept of what I am about to draw. I just start with a single gestural line or odd shape, and then build from there, allowing the image to grow and take itself to a logical conclusion. Sometimes I add a simple tone of color or wash. I am actually thinking of presenting them to the film or game industry, with an eye on setting myself up as a designer of other world creatures! I know I could do a terrific job of creating very memorable creatures with soul!

Visit stevensalerno.com to see all my illustration portfolios, or visit SASgolf.com to see my limited edition golf art prints available for purchase.

No comments: